Choose your language: italiano english
  Home » Maggiore Lake » Tourist resort

LAKE
HOW TO REACH
TOURIST RESORT
PUBLIC NOTICES
nEWS AND EVENTS
TIMETABLE
FARES
FLEET
CHARTERS
cruises and trips
PHOTOGALLERY
downloaD area
faq
LINK
CONTACT

Piemonte ARONA

Port
C.so della Repubblica, 7
45° 45' 31" N - 008° 33' 42" E

Arona is an important commercial and tourist centre, favoured by Sempione railway line and placed in an excellent location. Perhaps already known in Roman times, Arona traces its history at least to the tenth century, when a captain, Ottone I, built a Benedictine monastery.
The struggles between the Torriani and Visconti, who competed for this land remain to witness the remains of the fortress, known as the "Gibraltar of Lake Maggiore, which, from a relief dominated the area before being conquered and destroyed by Napoleon in 1800 .
It was especially the Borromeo, that the Rock made their residence while maintaining the feudal domain from four to seven hundred (October 2, 1538 was born St. Charles Borromeo), to represent the best historical and cultural presence. The oldest part of the city lies on the hill and opens onto the beautiful Piazza del Popolo, where you'll find the church of the Madonna di Piazza mannerism, the work of the '500 Pellegrino Tibaldi preceded by an impressive staircase with two flights, and a series of buildings with arcades, including the home of the Mayor, or Palace of Justice, of the fifteenth century.
Another sacred building of particular importance and is the fifteenth century collegiate church of Santa Maria Nascente, which ended in the seventeenth century by Cardinal Federico Borromeo.
It’s famous the monumental statue of San Carlo Borromeo, a native of Arona, called “San Carlone”, a huge giant copper (open house), with its twenty meters dominates the hill from the top of a granite pedestal of 11 meters. The statue was built at the end of the seventeenth century by Bernardo Falconi and Siro Zanelli, based on a drawing of the famous painter Cerano and thanks to Grattarolo Marcus Aurelius, with the support of his cousin Charles.
On the square on which stands the statue there are also the seventeenth-century seminary and the church of San Carlo, both of Francis Richini.

Arona
Baveno
Belgirate

Cannero Riviera
Cannobio
Carciano
Ghiffa
Intra
Isola Bella
Isola Madre
Isola Superiore
Lesa
Meina
Oggebbio
Pallanza
Stresa
Villa Taranto
Lombardia

Angera
Ispra
Laveno
Luino
Maccagno
Ranco
P.to Valtravaglia Santa Caterina

Svizzera
Ascona
Brissago
Gerra
Isole di Brissago
Locarno
Magadino
Porto Ronco
Ranzo
San Nazzaro

Tenero
Vira
2011 - Gestione Governativa Navigazione Laghi - All rights reserved - P.IVA 00802050153
valid only in Italy